Mapping Out My Practice

As suggested by Laura, I mapped out my professional practice. The key areas I explored were my practice as a dance teacher, my practice as a cover supervisor, my personal wellbeing/training/development and my future - considering where all of my current practices are taking me.


I found two topics I am particularly interested in learning more about:

Differentiation is a huge part of my practice because of the range of ages and abilities of the students I work with. While I am confident I have some understanding of what differentiation is and how to create/adapt tasks to suit different learning styles, I would like to know what makes differentiation most effective and how differentiation varies between subjects. For example, I teach practical dance classes and also cover classroom based lessons - should differentiation vary or take much the same form?

Creativity is another large part of my practice as a dance teacher. I have plenty of opportunity to be creative when choreographing for my students but would like to explore other areas, e.g. creativity in the process of planning lessons, inspiring creativity in students. Do teachers of classroom based, 'academic' subjects consider themselves/their teaching to be creative or is it just for subjects that are labelled as 'creative arts'? How does creativity differ between classroom based and practical subjects?

For both of these topics I think it would be interesting to compare how their use/approach differs between a compulsory education setting and an extra-curricular leisure setting.

I am currently researching literature on these topics and would be grateful for anyone's thoughts/opinions/literature recommendations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Group Discussion - Tuesday 13th March

Online Group Discussion - Thursday 22nd February

Online Group Discussion - Monday 4th December